Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Old Words, New Meaning

"Emptied completely" was a phrase I heard during Sunday sermon this past week and all I could think of was "Oh boy, I've been there." Why does God bring us to those moments where the weight of life's burdens begin to crush us? I feel like more recently I've been having more of these moments and of course being human I question why. Why does He strip me bare, make me vulnerable, and empty me completely at times?

It's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel when you're facing a challenge, but the beauty after coming out of these struggles is that His intentions and motives couldn't be more clear. God's love is so great that He cares for my eternal being, and forces me in those moments to not only walk...but run to Him, seek Him out, and to kneel at His feet. What an awesome and loving Father we have to call us back to Him knowing that He alone can offer us the guidance, comfort, and solace we sometimes desperately need.

In a book by Max Lucado called Travelling Light, and under the chapter titled "The Luggage of Life", he writes:

"Come to me," he invites, "all of you who are weary and carry burdens, and I will give you rest" (Matt 11:28). If we let Him, God will lighten our loads...but how do we let Him? May I invite an old friend to show us? The Twenty-third Psalm.

The Lord is my Shepherd;

I shall not want.

He makes me to lie down in green pastures;

He leads me beside the still waters.

He restores my soul;

He leads me in the paths of righteousness

For His name's sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,

I will fear no evil;

For You are with me;

Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;

You anoint my head with oil.

My cup runs over.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me

All the days of my life;

And I will dwell in the house of the Lord

Forever.

I've recited this prayer countless times in my life, but a more personal revelation takes place when I recite this Psalm in the midst of a struggle. It offers an amazing comfort knowing that God will "redeem your life from the pit... (Psalm 103:4)" when you call on His name.

No comments:

Post a Comment