Monday, November 9, 2009

Agape

"Agape" was a word that was thrown around a few times in yesterday's Sunday sermon. It's a word I haven't heard or thought about in quite awhile. To even call it a "word" is really an understatement. It's more of a concept that describes a state of being that I am light years from ever fully grasping.

If you look up the definition of agape on Wikipedia (because who looks at the dictionary anymore), it's defined as a "Greek word translated into English as love. Many have thought that this word represents divine, unconditional, self-sacrificing, active, volitional, and thoughtful love." So many times I use the word love like it's such an ordinary thing. Yet, have I ever really loved anything to the extent that was described above? Have I ever fully gave myself unconditionally expecting nothing in return? I know myself, I am too selfish a creature to even come close to what agape describes.

The author C.S. Lewis is given the most credit in defining agape through his book The Four Loves. He distinguishes agape, the kind of love Christ taught and showed, as "the highest level of love known to humanity - a selfless love, a love that was passionately committed to the well-being of the other."

Can you imagine the depths of the relationships we could have with one another, or how different this world would be, if we all strove to love as Christ loved us?

No comments:

Post a Comment