Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Healthy Baking

I like to bake, but I have to admit that I don't make the healthiest baked goods. So on my day off today I decided to experiment with some healthy baking.  I know it doesn't sound appetizing...luckily though I found this great website, 101 cookbooks, which makes healthy meals sound and look delicious.

The only problem with baking this way is I usually have to search high and low at specialty grocery stores for alot of these ingredients, and also usually pay double the price.....oh well, there's no price for good health, right?

So from the website I decided to make an Apple and Carrot Shortbread Cookie (right) and a Carrot Oatmeal Cookie (below), which also happens to be completely vegan.

Some of the interesting ingredients included things like whole wheat pastry flour, semolina flour, coconut oil, Muscavado brown sugar, etc.

The cookies definitely are not as sweet as your normal typical cookie, but the flavors of the natural ingredients like the apples, carrots and even the coconut oil really do shine.  I definitely am going to experiment some more and hopefully I can continue cooking and baking with an edge on the healthier side.

1 comment:

  1. sooo...last time, it was SCL. This time, 101 Cookbooks, which is also another website I like. I haven't made anything from there yet...I like looking at the pictures =) Good job with actually making something from the site! I also like this site: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/

    ReplyDelete