Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Patient Encounters

A couple days ago on a busy workday, I had a 23 yr-old patient come in for a routine eye exam.

He looked a little rough around the edges, didn’t crack a smile, and clearly wasn’t interested in engaging in any sort of conversation when I attempted to make small talk.

About halfway thru the exam he suddenly speaks and asks,
“How old are you anyway?”

I look up from writing my notes, probably appearing slightly annoyed by the question and hesitantly answer, "I’m 30."

At which he says, “you look like you’re 23 or something.”

I started laughing…..he still didn‘t crack a smile.

At a time where I’m feeling every bit my age, and contemplating the expectations I have and haven’t met in my life, I needed to hear that on that day.

Yes, age is but a number...and lately I’m being reminded that it’s not about HOW LONG I’ve been living on this earth, but HOW WELL I’m living on this earth.

Didn't think this kid would give me something to think about, but he did.

Nice kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment