Thursday, February 4, 2010

“Can I ask you for some advice?”

Where do you seek wisdom from? Where do you go to get advice?

I’m thinking about this because I’m half-way thru the book of Proverbs and I’m amazed at how this book gives wisdom on basically every facet of human life…

From how to deal with finances, to courtship, to sexual ethics, to disciplining children, to how to speak, act, think, how to labor and how to love, how to choose your friends, how to obtain joy, on finding contentment….and the list goes on and on (and this is only from the first half of Proverbs.) I often make the Bible out to be such a “mystical” piece of literature, when it’s much more of a “let’s get our hands dirty with the nitty-gritty of everyday life” type of book.

Now I know that God should be the ultimate from whom we seek wisdom, but let’s face it, when something is going on in our lives it’s natural for us to seek advice from the people that surround us. A good friend once told me, be very careful who and what you listen to, especially when your heart and mind are in a vulnerable state. I don’t think I thought much of it at the time, but recently I’m seeing the validity of that statement.

As I’ve grown up, I’ve experienced the importance of surrounding myself with people that speak God’s truth. I find it very easy to be swayed and seduced by the ways of the world and I have found that in those moments when I’m not thinking clearly and looking for direction, the words and prayers of a person rooted in Christ is the ultimate blessing.

And you know who those people are and aren’t. You know who to approach to get sympathy, or who to see when you want someone to revel in your anger, or who to find when you’re looking for affirmation, but do you know who to go to when you’re really seeking the Truth?

Those are the people I want to go to and ask, “Can I ask you for some advice?”

No comments:

Post a Comment